How To Get Active
We all know how important it is to be active, but how can we get involved in physical activity? Fortunately the NHS has a brand new set of physical activity services.
All you need to do to use these services is call: 0141 232 1860. If you would like more information click here to go to the website. The services are:
- A fun and free leader lead walk. There are several around Glasgow so wherever you are you can explore your area and get active at the same time.
- Vitality exercise classes are designed for anyone to help you get exercise, even if you live with a medical condition that. Classes are lead by an instructor and are a great way to get active.
- If you are feeling inactive and need support getting active again then Live Active is for you. This is a free consultation between you and an advisor to help you find the steps you need to take to get active. There will be charges for using the gym or participating in further activities. Live Active also requires a referral to be sent by a health care professional- Anne MacPhie our Practice Health Care Assistant will be happy to complete this for you if requested.
Garscadden Burn Medical Practice’s Health Walk
One Tuesday afternoon at the end of June we participated in a walk around Drumchapel to familiarise ourselves with the various places that provide physical activities. Before the walk we also played an hour of (free) tennis to get us fit and active. During the walk we were given the opportunity to see many areas of Drumchapel that we have only ever heard of. The practice has discovered many places where patients (and the doctors!) can get physically active.
Here is a list of places the walk took us as well as some links to their websites and where to find them.
- The Phoenix Centre runs many clubs and activities and is managed by Drumchapel L.I.F.E. For more information click here
- Drumchapel Swimming Pool has both pools and a fitness studio and is free if you are a Glasgow Young Scot/Kidz Card holder or are over 60 years old and pay your council tax. Click here to find out more.
- Drumchapel Tennis Club gave us an hour of great fun and helped us to get fitter. We would very much recommend checking their website to find out how you can get involved with the club.
- Donald Dewar is a fantastic place to get fit and healthy. If you want to learn more click here
Healthy walks every week!
Every Thursday at 1pm you too can join in a FREE, short, gentle and friendly led walks up to 2 ½ miles long for all ages and abilities led by trained volunteers. These are a great way for you to take the first steps towards a healthier lifestyle and meet new people. The walks are all led by trained volunteer. Click here for more details.
Volunteers Needed For Drumchapel Parkrun!
Drumchapel parkrun - a 5k weekly timed free walk/jog/run takes place on Saturday mornings at 9.30.You can bring your kids, your dog and your neighbours - all are welcome no matter how fit or unfit. We need people to help organise and run this event. If you are interested or just want a bit more information we would love for you to get in touch. If you don't want to walk/jog/run then you could volunteer to be a marshal or a timekeeper or whatever you fancy. It is a great way to spend a Saturday morning and its free, all you need to do is register on the parkrun website. There is lots of information on www.parkrun.org.uk. Check it out now and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
Fun with Tennis
On an earlier Saturday in June Judy Murray, mother of Andy Murray, came to Drumchapel High School for a day of tennis fun. She is shown here (third from left) with some of the Doctors, from Garscadden Burn Medical Practice, and their children.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE THE OPPORTUNITY FOR FREE TENNIS LESSONS WITH DRUMCHAPEL TENNIS CLUB PLEASE PICK UP A LEAFLET AT OUR FRONT DESK OR ASK A RECEPTIONIST.
Yoga for everyone
Every Thursday lunchtime we close our doors and the doctors, nurses and staff of Garscadden Burn Medical Practice get down on the floor to stretch, get fit and relax with a Yogability teacher. We have all enjoyed the benefits of doing this. You can read here the story of one of our team and the difference our yoga classes have made in her life. Why not find out for yourself the difference yoga can make? Yogability offer free classes to disabled children and their carers, and classes for adults which are on a donation basis. Check out their website for times and details.